Grand Master as Councillor Constitutional Amendment Act

The archives of the Senate.

Moderator: Senate Manager

Grand Master as Councillor Constitutional Amendment Act

Postby Wuufu » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:59 pm

Title

1. This Act shall be titled the Grand Master as Councillor Constitutional Amendment Act.

Amendment

2. Sections 3.1 and 3.1.1 shall be amended as follows:

Current Text wrote:3.1. The Councillor shall be elected by plurality vote of all citizens of Cynosure. In the event of a tie between two or more candidates for Councillor, there shall be a run-off vote between the candidates in question. Once elected, the Councillor shall automatically resign as a Sage, if they hold the position, and may not hold this position during the duration of their term.

3.1.1. No one shall stand for election to Councillor if they have been elected as Councillor in the previous three consecutive elections, and no one shall stand for election to Councillor who is not a citizen of Cynosure. The Grand Master and anyone who is supervising the Councillor’s election may not stand for election to Councillor.

Proposed Text wrote:3.1. The Councillor shall be elected by plurality vote of all citizens of Cynosure. In the event of a tie between two or more candidates for Councillor, there shall be a run-off vote between the candidates in question. Once elected, the Councillor, unless they are also the Grand Master, shall automatically resign as a Sage, if they hold the position, and may not hold this position during the duration of their term.

3.1.1. No one shall stand for election to Councillor if they have been elected as Councillor in the previous three consecutive elections, and no one shall stand for election to Councillor who is not a citizen of Cynosure. Anyone who is supervising the Councillor’s election may not stand for election to Councillor.

3. Section 3.2.1 shall be added after the current Section 3.2 that shall read:

3.2.1. Should the Grand Master be elected into office as Councillor, they shall announce a Vice Councillor that shall take upon all duties inferred to the Grand Master in Section 3.2, and in Sections 4.3 to 4.3.2.

4. Section 4.4 shall be amended as follows:

Current Text wrote:4.4. During any time when the Grand Master assumes the role of the Councillor, they shall be vested with all powers and duties of the Councillor with the sole directive of maintaining stability in the region until they are removed from the role.

Proposed Text wrote:4.4. During any time when the Grand Master, or the Vice Councillor, assumes the role of the Councillor as Acting Councillor, they shall be vested with all powers and duties of the Councillor with the sole directive of maintaining stability in the region until they are removed from the role. Acting Councillor is inferred anytime the position of Councillor is filled outside an official election, excluding during a State of Lapse.

4. Section 8.1 shall be amended as follows:

Current Text wrote:8.1. The Councillor and Grand Master may issue a joint statement indicating a State of Emergency. Alternatively, if the Founder has ceased to exist for any reason, the Councillor may issue a State of Emergency which shall come into force following a successful vote of the Senate.

Proposed Text wrote:8.1. The Councillor and Grand Master may issue a joint statement indicating a State of Emergency. Alternatively, if the Founder has ceased to exist for any reason, or if the Grand Master is the Councillor, the Councillor may issue a State of Emergency which shall come into force following a successful vote of the Senate. Any such vote of the Senate shall enter the Voting Hall directly and shall last for the reduced time of 24 hours.

5. Section 8.1.2 shall be amended as follows:

Current Text wrote:8.1.2. During a State of Emergency, the Grand Master may directly delegate powers to the Councillor that may override any element of this Constitution. If the Founder has ceased to exist for any reason, these powers may be listed by the Councillor and must be approved by the Senate during the issuance of the State of Emergency. Any subsequent adjustments to accepted powers must be further approved by the Senate.

Proposed Text wrote:8.1.2. During a State of Emergency, the Grand Master may directly delegate powers to the Councillor that may override any element of this Constitution. If the Founder has ceased to exist for any reason, or if the Grand Master is the Councillor, these powers must be listed by the Councillor and must be approved by the Senate during the issuance of the State of Emergency. Any subsequent adjustments to accepted powers must be further approved by the Senate in the same process.

Here it is. So this removes the Constitutional restrictions on the Grand Master becoming Councillor.

It currently also allows for the Grand Master, if Councillor, to also hold a position on the Cynosure Court. This is for a number of reasons. Firstly, the Court needs a little love and I'd like to continue to push towards getting it operational. Secondly, I feel I'm rather useful in interpreting the laws we have here in Cynosure. I will of course stand aside should any Court case be brought against the government while I'm Councillor, and I think if we ever get the Court to a position where we have stability there we can remove that clause and prevent me from also maintaining that position while Councillor.

If this passes, I'll need to have someone who's interested in being election commissioner take that role if I decide to run in the next election :)
Estrad Wuufu, Head of the Council of Nine of The Cynosure Temple and Grand Master of The Cynosure Order
Wuufu
Grand Master

Twitter: Wuufu
Leader: Estrad Wuufu
Senator: Ray Tera
Nation: The Cynosure Temple
Region: Cynosure

Re: Grand Master as Councillor Constitutional Amendment Act

Postby Wuufu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:19 am

Do we have any co-sponsors for this proposal?
Estrad Wuufu, Head of the Council of Nine of The Cynosure Temple and Grand Master of The Cynosure Order
Wuufu
Grand Master

Postby Xah » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 am

Aye, I'll co-sponsor this.

Didn't realise it needed it :D
Xah
Land of Athradu

Leader: Elder Anenular
Senator: Ab Keiko
Nation: The Pure Technocratic Federation of Xah

Postby Wuufu » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:02 am

Yup, needs both co-sponsors, then to go through the debate hall, and finally through a 6-day referendum.
Wuufu
Grand Master

Postby Wuufu » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:43 am

Given the lack of co-sponsorship on this proposal, and recent events, this proposal is withdrawn.
Wuufu
Grand Master

Return to “Senate Archives”