A new continent arises!

The designated place to sort out important RGP Meta stuff.

Moderator: Councillor of Roleplay

Forum rules
NRP Forum: All posts in this forum should be non roleplay posts. You do not need to use NRP tags here.

A new continent arises!

Postby Xah » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:19 am

Well, it's not that exciting, the continent has been there all along, but we've just been ignoring it. However, to increase the amount of available international RP, I'm planning to introduce another continent, across the ocean from Cynosure, that will be entirely NPC inhabited to provide a target for whatever RPs you wish to engage in, be it trade deals, espionage, war or alliances without worrying about the reaction of any PC nations around you.

The concept so far is for this continent to be larger than Cynosure, by about a half again, and be made up of three competing super-states, each consisting of a half-dozen nations or so. They will all be of equivalent size and have tech levels broadly similar to that of Cynosure, but will all have a different focus and interests. At least one of them will be the kind of liberal democracy that we see in the likes of the USA or EU (something unseen in Cynosure) and one of the others be an authoritarian regime like the USSR or Germany during the Third Reich. I have not decided on the other yet, perhaps an Empire in the classical sense, with a landed aristocracy and feudal structure. I'll stick with the post-modern ethos, so none of them will be vastly alien or different to what we already have and there will be no RP with your nation without consent. However, they will be active with each other and I envisage at least a cold war going on over there with proxy battles popping up every now and again.

I'm not really looking for much input here, this is a heads-up to you all so you can have a think about what you'd like to see come from this new land, be it a historical rival or ally, trading partners or so on. Drop a message below if you have any suggestions and I'll consider them.
Xah
Land of Athradu

Leader: Elder Anenular
Senator: Ab Keiko
Nation: The Pure Technocratic Federation of Xah
Region: Cynosure

Re: A new continent arises!

Postby ProfessorHenn » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:06 pm

Historical enemy. I want to see the whites of their eyes.
Signed,

ProfessorHenn
ProfessorHenn
Visitor

Leader: Professor Henn
Senator: Professor Henn
Nation: The Prophet ProfessorHenn

Postby Gibraltarica » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:46 pm

A historical homeland.
Gibraltarica, Resident Personchan
~Have a nice day~
Gibraltarica
Visitor

Leader: Sapphira I Pallas
Senator: Philip Antigonius
Nation: Gibraltarica

Postby Der Tigerland » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:00 pm

The Siberian Republic could be located there....I mean, they are pretty much the USSR....and they staged a reasonably significant force, which means they can't be too far away...
"Wir sind das jägers!"
Der Tigerland
Visitor

Leader: Field Marshal Claudia von Ernst
Senator: Field Marshal Claudia von Ernst
Nation: Der Tigerland

Postby Xah » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:13 am

I'll work all of your excellent suggestions into the new lands, I like them :)
Xah
Land of Athradu

Postby LordSylveon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Having an opponent on the other Continent would be cool.
Sometimes the world needs to BURN so it can grow.

LordSylveon
Land of Krath

Leader: Sharron L Richards
Senator: Mark Johnson
Nation: Draco Aeternum

Postby Surrusia » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Good idea solve this problem before it become a problem
Vote for Surrusia
Surrusia
Visitor

Leader: Denios Dysttin
Senator: Conrad Oconnor
Nation: SirReaper

Postby Xah » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:23 am

This is the work in progress for the new continent along with a map. I'm going to leave the individual states of the larger states unnamed and undescribed for now, in case anyone wishes to source a rivial, origin or existing NPC state. I'll give it a few days, then start adding more details in an 'official' thread for the new lands.

[+] The Continent of Malipal
The Empire of Manoi is the oldest country on Malipal and, it is claimed, in the entire world. Over 2500 years old, the Empire has been through many periods of expansion and contraction, isolationism and empire-building and has seen many forms of government come and go. Its current structure is of a collection of six feudal Dukedoms each one of them divided into many more sub-divisions, all ultimately owing alligience to the Emperor. Historically, the dukes, barons and knights all derive their power from raw military might, with tithes up the chain ensuring that the order is retained. These days, power is more likely to be economic than military, but ducal armies are still substantial. A new Emperor is elected when one dies, the six dukes gather to elect a new Emperor from candidates put forwards by each duke. These elections can take many years to resolve, as the dukes keep voting until one candidate gets a majority vote. In the past, bribes, assassinations and all out war were common, but in the modern age, such a thing has, supposedly, been outlawed. The new Emperor gains the fealty of all six dukes and command of the Imperial army. The Imperial (and to a lesser extent, ducal) armies are heavily mechanised, with the plains of the Empire of Manoi an ideal terrain for tracked, wheeled and legged vehicles of all kinds. Although the largest population in the world, most Manoi citizens are under-educated and poor, working the land to survive. The cities though are very different, with the largest the equal of any modern city in the world. The capital, Manoi City, is situated in the center of the Empire and is largely ceremonial.

The Boskyn Confederacy was forged in a continent spanning war of unification seven hundred years ago and has maintained an almost total iron grip over its populace since then. Eight semi-autonomous nations are ruled by a governor appointed by the Chancellor in the capital Lutharn and have absolute power over their population, upheld by a well-funded military and secret police force. Each Chancellor appoints their own successor, with the governors meeting to choose if this is not done before a Chancellor's death. A largely urban population, environmental concerns are all but ignored across Boskyn, with mines, factories and sprawling cities dotting the landscape. Travel restrictions, a ban on any independant media, sophisticated propaganda, strict controls over employment and association and the constant threat of purges keep people largely in line. Literacy is discouraged for the majority of the population with the armed forces being the only alternative accepted if a citizen doesn't wish to work in their assigned role. As expected, the armed forces are large and highly centralised.

The United Democratic States of Gallia (UDSG) is the newest state of the Malipal continent, having being formed as a direct response to threat of being entirely consumed by either the Empire of Manoi or the Boskyn confederacy about four hundred years ago. The last remaining indepedant states gathered together in an alliance of mutual protection that has, over years, evolved into a strong union of economies and militaries. Each state is bound by treaty to remain free and democractic, with frequent elections deciding on local leaders and members of the Gallian Parliament. A new president is elected every seven years but true power resides with the thousand member strong parliament who have the power to veto any executive decisions. Such a thing has, in the past, led to crisies, but the increasing threat from its neighbours have forced the parliament to work better with the presidency. Technology levels are high, with a highly educated and free population enjoying some of the best freedoms in the world. Social mobility is high and income levels are good, the only remaining complaint from activists is the retention of conscription, essential, say the politicians, to maintain a large standing army to discourage Manoi or Boskyn from getting too belligerent.
Xah
Land of Athradu

Return to “RGP Corner (NRP)”