The Light After the Dusk

All conflicts between Client's must be registered with the Nexus Conflict Board, and should follow the rules of conflicts as stated.

Moderator: Roleplay Master

Forum rules
RRP Forum: RRP Rules
User avatar
Xah
Councillor
Councillor
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:04 pm
NS Nation (Prefix): The Morthanveld Polity of
Client Tech Level: A2
Client Leader: Ancient One
Client Councillor: Speaker
Client Species: Morthanveld
Location: --
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Xah » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:46 am

Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
The Hanger, Floor -1


"Are you entirely out of your mind?!" Jai yelled at the warriors. "That was a display for posturing! It was trying to intimidate you, not attack! Any fool with the most basic of xeno-psychology could have figured that out! We'll be lucky if those xenos don't target us now, as well as the intended targets!" he blew out an exasperated breath. "Always thinking with your guns."

Tomas looked impassively at the Leader, then at the oizys, then back to the Leader again. "It can consider itself not very intimidating then. What did it expect? For us to bluster in return? It deserved everything it got. Perhaps next time they'll not go running at a crowd of armed soldiers. At least we know the Umka armour is still good." He smiled a little. "Relax, we've got a job to do. Let's go," he gestured to the Warriors who trooped into the dropship and settled into their places.

Sierra Six, Cindering Peaks

There was no small amount of banter between some of the Warriors at the conditions outside the dropship, with many similarities drawn between it and their homelands. If anything, the temperatures here were higher than outside some of the more northern hive cities, although the altitude was greater as well. The basic Fox armour and the larger Umka powered armour were all well designed to cope with the environment though, and the plastic and ceramic weapons should function flawlessly. Tomas checked his gauss rifle, privately satisfied that he'd been able to test-fire it before actual combat. That the test-fire was on living target bothered him not one bit. It hadn't been a Xahian, or even one of the barbarians of the south, but rather an off-world xeno, and therefore lacking in purity. He'd never admit as much to the Leader, but he knew him and his men would not shy away from resisting a revenge attack by the tentacled aliens.

The dropship arrived at its destination and the doors opened, the Xahians debarking and making their way towards their assigned building with practiced ease. Tomas could barely see other dropships in the area making their drops thanks to the climate, but tried to make a note on his HUD where the oizys were most likely to be.

The two basic fireteams reached the doors to their first building objective which was larger than the other two, and a fair distance from them too. Tomas had considered splitting his platoon up, but decided a show of strength was probably better. He glanced at Jai for confirmation of the assault and, with a slight nod from the Leader, gave the order to breach.

User avatar
Ella2 6
Level 6.2
Level 6.2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm
NS Nation (Prefix): The Spring Kawaii of
Nexus Client: The Constellation of Richia
Client Tech Level: A3
Client Species: Ellian
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Ella2 6 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 10:15 am

Game Master
@Onee-chan
Sierra Six, Cindering Peaks

Lax's reply to Martinez came swiftly over the radio: "SEUF, this is mission control. We copy. Be advised that aerial recon as spotted a large concentration of ghoul movement in your area. Caution is advised. I repeat: Be advised that aerial recon as spotted a large concentration of ghoul movement in your area. Caution is advised. Over."

As the Sinians approached the base, the ghoul activity that could be gleaned from the air dramatically declined as G37-2's pack prepared to contact their adversaries. Most of the able-bodied ghouls had already withdrawn to the largest surviving structure in the base; the command centre. Those that remained behind were heavily damaged and could provide little support during combat.

G37-31 peered out cautiously from the windows and quickly offered a report of what he saw.

- I count ten on foot approaching from the north. There's also an armoured vehicle there. It's different from the ones before. Wider. Taller. Trapazoidal hull and turret. Cannon. -

G37-2 looked around at his assembled pack. He was not expecting armoured vehicles. With this much ghouls concentrated in the same area, cannon fire would take out his whole pack in a few minutes.

- All pack. Disperse and conceal yourselves within the building. Draw them into the settlement. Concentrate on disabling the armoured vehicle. If the armoured vehicle fails to advance into the settlement then draw the infantry into the buildings. -

The pack quickly scattered and spread themselves out around the block, concealing themselves amongst the furniture.

- I'll draw them in. -

G37-49 crept to the side window and slowly peered outside to see if the coast was clear before leaping through the windows and into the adjacent building. There were more ghouls here, including a handful from a neighbouring pack. She quickly assessed them and then selected the four most experienced members of the group as well as the most damaged (but still mobile) member of the group.

- G37-4 G37-11 G39-13, G37-14 and G39-7. Follow me. If you get hit stay down and wait till they move in. All non-designated ghouls await G37-2's signal to attack -

Dropping to all fours, she quickly bound out the front door and across the street into the opposite building, moving as quickly as possible to minimise the risk of damage. The other ghouls that she selected followed her without complaint.

They were hailed by a storm of Sinian bullets almost as soon as they left the concealment of the building, but the deadly shower caused only minor damage. G39-13 went down with a glancing hit to the shoulder, pretending to be knocked out. G37-11 received a minor wound to the torso, but his keratosynth-plated skeleton prevented the round from doing major damage his motor organs. The slowest one, G39-7 moved at what could only be described as a fast crawl during the dash and was decommissioned with several rounds to mass centre, severing his spine.

G37-49 and her three 'surviving' ghouls quickly went around the back of the building to await the Coalition soldiers. With luck, the Sinikivi would be tricked into advancing into the streets, whether to check the dead or confront the survivors. If the infantry advanced alone, the pack would pounce on them from three directions and the two 'dead' ghouls would cause confusion amongst their ranks to prevent their tank from firing on them. If the tank advanced with the infantry, they would focus on disabling the tank whilst they distracted the infantry.
The Fifth Quadrant,
a science fiction
group/setting/region
founded by yours truly.
All players are welcome!
The Crossroads Discord,
an OOC chat/chill channel
to facilitate communication
between NS role players.
All tech tiers are welcome!
A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

User avatar
Ella2 6
Level 6.2
Level 6.2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm
NS Nation (Prefix): The Spring Kawaii of
Nexus Client: The Constellation of Richia
Client Tech Level: A3
Client Species: Ellian
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Ella2 6 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:49 pm

Game Master
@Morth
Sierra Six, Cindering Peaks

G42-19 had not issued her pack with any regroup orders as she was not under the impression that this raid was any different from the previous eight times. As a result, her pack's defensive policy was still to minimise casualties, maximise damage and consume the dead whenever possible before the bodies are burned. Ghouls ate just about anything, but the snow and ice provided little nourishment for them. What they really needed were metals and organic compounds. Carbon to mend the flesh. Calcium to heal the bone. Iron to replenish nanite reserves.

The building was a two-storey affair with two rooms on the ground floor and five rooms upstairs. Confronting the Xahians were a dozen-odd ghouls, scattered throughout the building. More ghouls awaited in the adjacent building as well, potentially able to reinforce them if necessary, but in general, the idea was to take down one or two raiders and evacuate the building with their prize to feast.

Upon hearing the Xahians approaching, two ghouls silently positioned themselves on either side of the doorway while a third stood above it, ready to drop through a hole in the roof. There were two more ghouls with them, a badly damaged one that was upstairs as well and a final one that was concealed by the window, ready to grab anyone that thought it wise to try the alternative route. The others remained out off sight, covering their escape route but ready to render assistance to their packmates.

G42-156 listened closely to the footsteps outside and concluded they were facing a fairly substantial troop. With this knowledge, he quickly called out for the other ghouls to be ready to reinforce their position. Two more ghouls slinked into the room, a faint green gleam glowing in the back of their eyes as they moved about in the darkness. These two took their position along the wall at about the same time as the Xahians prepared to breach as well and waited.

The Xahians made their move. A flashbang flew in from the window and exploded, but this did little to slow down the ghouls who were not subject to sensory overload. The denotation did leave their sight and hearing briefly impaired, but that too was easily resolved when ghouls who were not caught in the blast emerged and relayed sensory information to their packmates. Ironically, it was the heat generated by the explosion that did the most damage, destroying the valuable nanite reserves.

The ghoul on the left grabbed at the first man that entered, slashing his sedative-tipped claws through the Xahian's armour, while his partner on the right tried her best to incapacitate anyone attempting to assist the wounded. G42-94 quickly moved in and grabbed the unconscious soldier, pulling him across the room (and incidentally across the firing arc of the warriors) to the extraction point.

The ghouls produced their own special mix of knock-out drugs that could render most humanoid lifeforms unconscious in a matter of seconds and often coated the tips of the claws in the substance. In the past, it was so the victim could be converted into more ghouls - and they certainly still tried to follow this directive. However, the ghouls in Sierra Six have long since learned that the Ellians left no man behind and their policy of starving the ghouls of fresh corpses meant that if victims could not be converted, then they would have to be cannibalised.
The Fifth Quadrant,
a science fiction
group/setting/region
founded by yours truly.
All players are welcome!
The Crossroads Discord,
an OOC chat/chill channel
to facilitate communication
between NS role players.
All tech tiers are welcome!
A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

User avatar
Oiniane
Level 5.2
Level 5.2
Posts: 33
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 10:38 am
Nexus Client: Sinikivi
Client Tech Level: I3
Client Leader: The Empress
Client Species: Human
Location: Finland
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Oiniane » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:17 pm

Marinez would paranoidically glance around after the report she'd hear, replying briefly, to not flood the channel. "SEUF copies. Advancing with cation. Over." She'd turn towards rest of her squad. "There's movement about, expect a hot welcoming party." To this the conscript Fukov would smile. "Hot is good! It's nice to have anything warming in cold like this." After, few seconds of silence, the group would continue onwards, the tank roaring as it would force itself to crawl onward once more.

The buildings are murky dark, like shadows from realm beyond, with no way of spotting anyone inside with plain eyesight, making spotting anyone who'd gaze upon the squad, practically impossible. However any shadows over the white icy streets would be extremely easy to spot, and so would be them due to their reliance on attached flashlights to see anything.

"Right!" Martinez would swiftly say to gain attention of rest. "These two nearest buildings are our objectives so we don't need to go overly deep into the compound yet. All we need is to find an-" As she's suddenly interrupted by the tuxedo clad man Winstead, who is already extending his hand cannon towards a group of ghouls, who seem to be trying to cross the street. "Enemy contact." Every single soldier would either kneel or take support from the tank itself, to steady their aims, the tank itself shooting a long burst of machinegun fire from it's hull into the running ghouls. The brief overwatch, to suprise of most of the Sinians, seemed to actually have an effect. Boris would lower his machinegun, which he had failed to shoot in the small oppoturnity. "Shit, I thought them to be tougher!" There's one lonely bang afterwards, from the scoped bolt-action rifle as one additional round is shot towards the downed ghoul (G39-7) to ensure that it's not rising later.

Meanwhile inside the tank itself, the commader of the vehicle would frown as he followed the fleeing ghouls through the periscope. "They want to hide? Not on my watch. Gunner! Thirty degree right inside the damned building, let them fry." The slow rumbling of the turret turning is quiet, and as the cannon is aiming down to the building the ghouls ran off to, the only warning given is two bullet from machinegun from ranging, before a loud thunderous boom is heard as the main gun releases it's payload, the shell exploding on anything properly solid which it would hit, leaving a cloud of heated white phosphor to engulf anything near the impact point, more than likely setting any flamable furniture ablaze, as well as to make the air completely unbreathable. After ten seconds of groaning, the cannon would fire second time, into same building if no other movement is seen, to further hammer the point that they do not like to take additional chances. "Load HE next. If they are still alive they might run into open."

Martinez would sigh and lower her head for moment, before returning her posture. "Right. Well then. Keep the tank still and on overwatch for moment. Sniper, tap any other bodies on the street while we try to find a way to breach this other building. It not like we could enter the one we shot at, for... -some- reason." She'd glare at the tank commander who'd have pushed the hatch up, to gain a better view, and also to arm the heavy calibre machinegun on the roof himself. The squad would mostly stay still, the sniper aiming a bullet down the scope on heads of any corpses he'd see on the road, and shooting twice into bodies if head wasn't visible. Only once he'd announce himself to be done, they would move as a group the tank slowly rumbling first as they'd make their way to the first building, while being alert of the ghouls last known location, albeit presuming them to have scattered. (Presuming if the opponent doesn't choose to take the initiative first of course)

User avatar
Qora
Level 5.2
Level 5.2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:23 pm
NS Nation (Prefix): Qora
Nexus Client: Qora
Client Tech Level: A2
Client Leader: Kleo Neferanzus Azu
Client Councillor: Kleo Neferanzus Azu
Client Species: Qorsikan
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Qora » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:28 pm

Gleam, Asylum
Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
B4, Research Facility
Zhang pauses for a moment appearing as though she's thinking about the proposition when she was really sure what her answer would be. "Well, that would be a great advantage to everyone here. We'd love to test out your prototype and assist in helping you decode their language. After all, everything is won and lost through information. My associates would be more than pleased to assist you in bringing it to the field as well." She gestures to her two associates and they quickly nod in acknowledgment.
Gleam, Asylum
Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
B3, Gunsmith
"Well, that's adequate for our needs for now though I'm sure some of our combat personnel would be ... disappointed in being unable to shorten their weapon as some enjoy to do, though I'm sure most would definitely appreciate the various fire modes."

"As for armour penetration... that's as though calling an armoured vehicle "unarmoured" simply because an infantryman can carry a ballistic weapon designed to defeat it. I'm sure you've had run-ins with more primitive species giving their infantry various rockets and missiles in the off chance of encountering an armoured vehicle." She pauses for a moment. "Oh, right! You don't know. We haven't miniaturized plasma weapons to a point that we can make plasma rifles yet. We mainly use plasma cannons and throwers. With the odd plantable explosive device that uses plasma to ruin somebody's day."

"The homeworld of my people has a greater gravitational pull than this one, but only slightly. Though the Imperial Government, may it always shine brightly into the future, has very strict requirements for any soldiers wishing to join its ranks. One of those is to be able to hit a target at 1 km distance without a telescopic sight. That's the bare minimum. Using weapons that cannot fire bullets that go past Mach 3. More specialized soldiers are required to get closer with weapons that launch projectiles at Mach 10 and few variants are able to go past that, though those are more specialized weapons with longer railings. I'm sure with the experience that our more... veteran soldiers are able to in Her Imperial Army. It would make sense as they spend much more time at the shooting range than those whose postings are purely for Planetary Defence."

"Unless you're able to maintain the supplies necessary for that black powder musket I would take you up on it. But I'm finding that rather doubtful." She sighs, "Which reminds me. We have a Heavy Weapons Platform that would require its guns to be modified to use your ammunition. Is such a modification possible?"
Gleam, Asylum
Sierra Six, Cindering Peaks
Qorsikan Dropship
After briefing the combat unit of all the information that the Warrant Officers during their reconnoiter across the Ella'an base the Physician gives the unit's radio operator the prototype given to her by the Ella'an science team. "Standard detail, but to be sure this is to intercept ghoul communications so we may attempt to translate them. Information is power as we all know."

"I also find it important to stress that they're primitive to where they rely completely on melee weapons. With their physical abilities described to you by Jin I want to emphasize the possibility of ambuscades in close quarters. Nothing you're not already accustomed to I'm sure seeing as you are IA." Sun takes out a map of the village they're assaulting jointly with the xenos. "We're away from the more... disgusting Xenos though the closest ones we're going to be working with have the courtesy to disguise themselves in steel. As you can see here, the cluster of buildings where you'll be unlikely to encounter any other 'allied' Xenos.' Avoid firing on them. They call themselves 'Xahian' and easily distinguishable from your targets." Sun pulls up a still she made during her reconnoiter onto the projector. "Questions?" She pauses for a few moments and while met with silence, "Well then, dismissed."

The dropship side doors and rear ramp open, the vessel obviously for civilian use to resupply the void vessel with materials acquired planetside, the team drops into the middle of the cluster of the designated buildings with the HWP dropping first and it readying its dual autocannons and gamma tail laser securing the area and the infantry providing overwatch over the flanks from the dropship itself hovering 10 meters above the ground. Once deemed safe the infantry rappel down and form a tight perimeter defence.
► Not Roleplay

User avatar
Phorcys
Level 6.1
Level 6.1
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:53 pm
Nexus Client: The Confederation of Swarms
Client Tech Level: A1
Client Leader: Confederal Consensus
Client Councillor: 0992904-Interlocutor
Client Species: Oizys
Location: United Kingdom
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Phorcys » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:04 pm

Sierra Six
Cindering Peaks


The Ellian dropship’s ramp comes down and in a seething black tide of coiling, striking limbs the oizys spill out.

The three surviving Meridians in the vanguard, the huge oizys forging towards the facility in great bounding lopes. Bodies evolved for 2g unencumbered even under the weight of their heavy weapons, exerting immense power with each propelling stride.

Scuttling behind come the smaller Westerners, advancing cautiously, weapons trained. 0117771-Kinguard and 0119859-Taskgroup-Commander in full carboplatinum power armour - and 0191997-Attendant and 0111795-Attendant in padded exosuits, fodder to cover their kin-superiors’ flanks. The Meridians are soldiers but of the Westerners only 0117771-Kinguard is combat trained - no matter. They have relied on the sheer physical superiority of the oizys form to triumph over aliens before.

Indeed there is an easy confidence among both parties. The Westerners fear the Meridians far more than any softworlder enemy, and they are glad to be off the ship, out of the warrens, and facing a common foe again. And the Meridians fear nothing that is not each other.

To the oizys' left is an Ellian team. The paymasters are watching. To their right are the Qoriskans. The kinless slave-soldiers who humiliated 0119859-Taskgroup-Commander with their dialogue. Past them are the Xahians, who must be humbled before oizys might lest their first blood encourage them.

There is every motivation to perform.

“Show dysgenic-alien-weaklings power-superiority of oizys species!” 6206614-Barracks-Master rattles out over the comms, “kill-destroy softworlders! For the race, for the swarm, for the genome!”

And for once 0119859 takes up the Barracks Master's Meridian battlecry - “for the race, for the swarm, for the genome!” a vanishingly rare and fleeting sentiment of shared pride fluttering beneath every oizys cuticle, perhaps for one of the first times in all oizys history. Could they understand the concept, they might have thought the moment beautiful.

The Meridians engage first, outrunning the ghouls as they flee for the safety of the buildings, trampling the stragglers and tearing their reinforced bodies apart limb from limb in the grasp of their powerful pereiopods. They fire their kinetic sluggers after the creatures making it to cover, the massive calibre polycarbide rounds of oizys small-arms equivalent to the heaviest of lesser species’ weapons.

Following close behind with monomolecular blades drawn, the Westerners put down anything that still twitches or crawls in the Meridians' bloody wake.

Closing in on the facility in mere seconds the Phonotaxis kin take position to breach the nearest allocated target building. The Meridians split up to breach the further two. 9503026-Combat-Engineer and 4933073-Reconitor take the one, the Barracks-Master the other on his own.

The instant 6206614 gives his signal they tear their way through the base doors, plasteel buckling under oizys strength. The smaller Westerners cannot manage such a feat with mere muscle, but 0117771-Kinguard’s power armoured gauntlets suffice. The oizys burst in.

9503026-Combat-Engineer and 4933073-Reconitor sweep their heavy micro-fission breaching lasers in overlapping arcs as they charge, dropping them when the heat sinks glow white and using their robustly built kinetic sluggers as clubs. 6206614-Barracks-Master attempts the same on his own, the veteran oizys trusting in experience and raw resilience to overcome the odds. The Westerners breach to the blare of the Attendants’ sonic tightbeam weapons, the lesser oizys herded in first to draw any enemy ambush, a spray of suppressive coilgun fire from 0119859 and 0117771 following up.

They are a tide of unleashed aggression - and total overconfidence - pouring into the facility. For all their raw ferocity they have already overextended…



Oizys Warrens
Underneath Sierra Seven

Several hours previously

They must gather to plan the operation ahead, cloacae clenched, setae bristling, each oizys hovering on the edge of open violence as one by one they scuttle in. The warrens are pressurised and filled with their own atmosphere, but in deference to the temptation of naked cuticle they are all fully suited. 0119859-Taskgroup-Commander hopes it proves enough.

"Before entry-insertion" 0219911-Bioengineer clicks with two arms, plying together something complicated looking with almost all of the rest, "instruct-inform combatants of new protocol for atmospheric exposure".

"What is this?" 0119859 chitters, scrutinising one of the mysterious packages his kin-sibling has made.

"Sealant patch" 6206614-Barracks-Master clicks, recognising it. "Supply consume-depleted?"

"Scavenged suit sealant from our dead", 0219911 explains, "slaves scavenged binding material from ship wreckage. 9503026-Combat-Engineer has improvised means to reconfigure autogel"

"Not as reliable-effective as Confederal manufacture" 9503026 cautions them, "but will serve-suffice. Suit breaches too large for gel to seal, patch will protect. All combatants carry supply at all times"

Further protocol" the Bioengineer trills, clenching his exoskeleton ridges tightly shut, contracting his cloacae, and then releasing. "Demonstration. If suit breach too large for patch to repair-rectify, combatants to constrict exoskeleton-“

“Will be echoblind" 3672448-Combatant interjects suspiciously.

“This is true. But closed oizys exoskeleton and constricted cloacae airtight. Will protect-prevent pressure damage. Oizys seals cuticle and remains stationary. Other combatants retrieve downed oizys and repair suit damage. Against military training, but essential-necessary to survival on Gleam. Must resist pain-rage when wounded"

"This one will drill Combatants" 6206614 clicks acknowledgement.

And 0119859-Taskgroup-Commander clicks to himself in self-approval. An uneasy accord is holding. He predicted as such - that destroying their ship was the only way to keep them from destroying each other. For their pay - now their only way off Gleam - depends on their collective performance. And so for once, for the first time in mixed company, ovipositors remain still in their sheaths.

But 3672448-Combatant has other ideas.

“0219911-Bioengineer has assisted you in construct-producing these?" The Meridian queries, with a sharp edge in his trill. Since 7133707-Combatant was torn apart by the Xahians and wired into the oizysform, 3672448 has been the largest among the Meridian party, and he has not wasted any time in asserting his dominance.

"Yes. Assistance necessary to viabilise-expedite process. Sufficient numbers of product required” 9503026-Combat-Engineer explains. “This one has watched Westerner close-carefully" he attempts to pre-empt his Meridian ally's suspicion.

It is not enough.

"Do not trust ones constructed by Westerner!” 3672448 trills, thrusting a pereiopod at the Bioengineer-

-which the agile Westerner easily evades, as he was meant to.

But the threat display sets the chamber into a seething cauldron of rattling limbs and and high-pitched clicks. The Western kin-group cluster together, the non-kin Meridians scatter apart, hissing territorial warnings at each other. 0119859-Taskgroup-Commander scuttles behind 0117771-Kinguard, who keeps the last micro-fusion thrower coiled tightly in his grip.

“This one is attempting to save you” 0219911-Bioengineer feebly pleads, “for purpose-use of Taskforce and collective performance-survival!"

“0219911 correct” 6206614-Barracks-Master boldly declares, and almost as soon as it started the writhing and hissing stops. The silence that follows is almost worse - the chamber poised on the brink of either slaughter or standstill. 6206614 takes the risk not because he desires for even a moment that this co-operation with the worthless Westerners should last - but because he is quite unwilling to let the upstart 3672448 continue to drive their actions. After the crashlanding when 6206614 led the charge into battle it was 3672448 who pushed them to accept the Westerners’ agreement. Now 6206614 co-operates and 3672448-Combatant rouses the Meridians to fight. 6206614-Barracks-Master is starting to suspect the oizys will argue against whatever position he puts forward, simply to undermine his authority.

7133707 was young and rash and got himself half killed. But 3672448, he will have to deal with himself.

6206614-Barracks-Master gives no warning before he launches himself onto the other Meridian, latching on to the larger oizys’ cuticle with four powerful limbs, stabbing with veteran accuracy with every other - probing in split-second intervals for the weak points in 3672448’s armour-padded exosuit as they thrash atop each other.

3672448-Combatant is the stronger, and the faster, tearing out segments of heavy plating from 6206614-Barracks-Master’s pierced suitskin within seconds. Casting off his glove-segments to drive the naked points of his periopods in between 6206614’s cuticle ridges. Even as autosealant envelops his limbs he forces them deeper, bubbling black lymph seeping out through the tears in the clotting gel.

6206614 rattles in agony but he is the more experienced, his gnarled cuticle bearing the pitted scars of a lifetime of struggle. He has not survived so long by giving into pain. Whereas 3672448 - larger, powerful even for a Meridian, is used to quick and overwhelming victories. Less used to prey resilient enough to resist beyond the initial grapple. 3672448’s dominant grasp would break the Barracks-Master in seconds - if he could hold it - but as 6206614’s pereiopods ripple and glisten in a flurry of flashing strikes 3672448 flinches in pain. A half-second long enough for 6206614 to whip his ninth limb free from the larger oizys’ grip and - shedding the glove segment and wrenching back in one swift movement - he plunges.

3672448-Combatant writhes in pain and terror for another second as the Barracks-Master’s ovipositor disgorges into him - then the doomed oizys’ limbs stiffen and coil in a perverse rigor vitae. The breeding paralysis has set in.

Then the hissing starts again-

-and 6206614-Barracks-Master recoils from fallen 3672448. He only meant to make a show of his dominance, not to kill him - but in the heat of the struggle he could not resist - and now the others look hungrily on. The Meridians circle him, even the Westerners draw chitteringly in. The cusp of the mating frenzy visible in every oizys’ poised stance.

“Must not!” 6206614-Barracks-Master trills, but he already knows whatever logic he employs is rendered useless by the fact of his own mate twitching in the dirt. “Oizys have shown weakness to aliens! Softworlders think oizys easy prey!” 6206614 appeals to their survival instinct - but there are instincts stronger.

“Slaves!” 0119859-Taskgroup-Commander chirrups out high-pitched and clear above the racour, and for a moment the mounting frenzy wavers in its rise.

For the only offer that can stave off the mating struggle is the promise of more to go around. “Slaves! Will grant-concede slaves!” 0119859 crawls out from behind his Kinguard now that the Meridians have stopped writhing their limbs in offensive postures. They click expectantly. Taskgroup-Commander must deliver. “Siblings, lead three slaves to Meridians’ chamber" 0119859 chirrups, "lead three to ours”.

Dutifully 0191997-Attendant and 0111795-Attendant set down the tunnel for the slave pens, doubtless hoping that they will be among the kin permitted to mate. They will not - it is more important for 0119859 to keep more essential personal under control. 0219911-Bioengineer. 0191858-Agriengineer. 0117771-Kinguard. But the tension in the chamber abates nonetheless. Limbs go flaccid and cloacae retract - ovipositors however remain exposed in anticipation.

It pains him to concede half of their remaining stock, but had the mating frenzy taken hold none of his kin-group would have been likely to survive. Worse is that evidently - judging from their coiled postures - not all of them concede the necessity.

“Query, valued-honoured-siblings?” 0119859 asks in Western, unintelligible to the Meridian foe. He already knows of course, that 0117771 will make his same entreaty again, but better to pre-empt it than have his authority challenged without his express permission to speak.

“Slave-stock is future of Phonotaxis!” 0117771 explodes in outrage the moment he is authorised. “Cannot expend. Have no supplies to raise spawnlings!”

“Expend stock to prevent frenzy” 0119859 replies measuredly. “No choice. Lack of rations correct, must eat corpses.”

“Without slaves, how does Kin-League reestablish-repopulate?”

“Millions of oizys throughout clientspace. Will take more”

“Not on this world, sibling-master-”

“-will hear-listen no more of this" 0119859 stridulates, the anger in his tone rising, "this one has already inform-commanded-”

“-We are last of Kin-League Phonotaxis!" 0117771 chitters impassionately. "On this world Phonotaxis genome becomes extinct - or rise-multiplies again”

“Cannot remain! You know this. Confederation finds us - will not explain again to brood-servant!”

There is a brief boiling silence between them, and 0119859-Taskgroup-Commander regrets his choice of epithet. Tired as he is of the insubordination he must endure in exile - which on Phorcys would have been so swiftly punished - he forgets that here he depends utterly on his kinguard for his survival. Brood servant is a loaded term, disparaging against the high honour of the station. Said against a kinguard it is the worst castigation.

And 0117771-Kinguard’s reaction is hard to judge. He does not burst into rage, does not stridulate sharply. There is only a slight fluttering of his setae, before he is completely composed. “This one implore-advises” 0117771 clicks coldly and calmly - evidently holding himself back. “Send Meridians to die. Not us. Warrens established - these tunnels could be foundation-beginnings of Phonotaxis colony. Planetary environment anodyne-hospitable compared to Phorcys.”

“If possible, would consider" 0119859 concedes - but he will concede nothing more. "But why would E't'i'a allow brood to remain-inhabit? Only service-utility to paymasters guarantees continued protection. So be of purpose-use to them. If 0117771 desires to protect-preserve Phonotaxis, 0117771 will fight for it”

"Very well" 0117771-Kinguard clicks cooly, tramping out of the chamber in protest as the slaves are led in. Or more likely, 0119859 thinks, so that he will not be tempted to rescind his objection to doling out the slaves.

In truth 0117771 cannot risk the temptation of telling his Master in front of the Meridians that he is a coward.That his shameful fear of Confederal retribution drives him to the point of irrationality, blinds him to the real threats ever-present in their midst. 0117771 stalks away into the darkness, brooding on the many kin they have lost under his Master’s command, and what it will take to avert their doomed course. He wonders if he will have to break his conditioning at long last, and if he can do it, when the time comes.
Last edited by Phorcys on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:12 am, edited 4 times in total.
The Oizys of the Confederation of Swarms
A dysfunctional kratocracy of highly aggressive, hyper-sexual hermaphrodites

Post-Humanity and the Church of Autology
A transhumanist cult of precursor worshipping evangelists

The Great Ones of the Cryojovian Volume
An advanced post-civilisational race of solitary space nomads

The Ecdysite of the Heterarchy
A post-apocalyptic bronze-age tribe plagued by the resurrected monsters that haunt their DNA

User avatar
Ella2 6
Level 6.2
Level 6.2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm
NS Nation (Prefix): The Spring Kawaii of
Nexus Client: The Constellation of Richia
Client Tech Level: A3
Client Species: Ellian
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Ella2 6 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:24 pm

Game Master
@Onee-chan
G37-49 dropped flat onto the ground as the tank opened on the building with its main gun. The shells missed the group, but did succeed in bring down mounds of rubble on top of them. G37-14 was crushed by a particularly large slab of plasteel that had formerly been a wall on the building. G37-4 suffered minor damage when a chunk of rock came down on his control chip, filling his sensory data with static.

The sniper shot clean through G37-11's medulla, severing the connection between the brain and the spine, disabiling the ghoul. The nanites in G37-11's bloodstream immediately rushed to the site and attempted to make repairs, cannibalising extraneous bone structure such as the fingers and toes to bring the needed material up to the head. However, it would be several hours before basic motor functions were restored to the downed ghoul. He will be on no assistance in the coming fight.

G39-13 escaped with only minor wounds. Pedro's shot to his head had passed through already decommisioned sections of the ghoul's brain and thus all the nanites had to do was stop the bleeding and patch up the skull - no small feat, but definitely much faster than healing a chunk of solid bone. There were two more ghouls within the building that tank had fired at, hiding in the ruins. The high explosive shell had destroyed one of them, but the other one was still in working order and was quietly feasting on the broken remains of the other ghoul.

Once they were reasonably certain that the bombarment had lifted, G37-49 and G37-4 picked themselves up and quickly assessed the situation (using information relayed to them). The Sinikivi were advancing towards the building they were hiding behind as opposed to the centre of the street as they had expected. The tank as advancing with the infantry and they were definitely vulnerable to a flanking attack given their position. G37-2's new orders were quickly distributed throughout the pack.

- All pack. Prepare for flanking maneuvre on my signal. G37-31 will divert their attention. G37-49 and G37-4. Approach from their northeast. All non-designated ghouls. Approach from their south... Go. -

The pack galvanised into action. G37-31 loped out of the building across the road and bound down the length of the road in a bid to attract enemy attention while G37-49 and G37-4 flanked around the building to emerge on right of the Sinians. Some half a dozen ghouls streamed out of the buildings left of the Coalition troops as well as behind them, surrounding them and rapidly closing into melee range so they could use their claws. Their main objective was still to disable the tank.

Suddenly, bright blue plasma fire erupted further down the road. The Ellian marines under Rosie had engaged the ghouls in the command centre.
The Fifth Quadrant,
a science fiction
group/setting/region
founded by yours truly.
All players are welcome!
The Crossroads Discord,
an OOC chat/chill channel
to facilitate communication
between NS role players.
All tech tiers are welcome!
A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

User avatar
Pie
Level 6.1
Level 6.1
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:56 am
NS Nation (Prefix): Dominion
Nexus Client: Piethrixia
Client Tech Level: A3
Client Leader: Admiral Jacob Daniels
Client Councillor: Admiral Jacob Daniels
Client Species: Piethrixian
Location: Canada
Been thanked: 2 times
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Pie » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:01 am

Leftenant Daniels kicks down a door to a building with ghouls in it. "Knock Knock, Whos there? AP MOTHER F-" Hundreds of Armour piercing bullets pierce the wall next to the door, riddling everything with bullets. Private Smith walks in with his PB-10 and incinerates the Ghoul parts, after they are confirmed dead they move on to the next room, this time leftenant daniels roll a grenade under the door, opens it and yells "HEY SHITHEADS" and slams the door shut while slamming themselves against the wall next to it, less than a second after the door blows off and Smith moves in to remove any leftovers.

The Section continues with their almost robotic efficiency, killing everything in their path, once they have cleared one building the leftenant tosses his belt of grenades into the still open door, the blast blowing the door, and the wall, and the ceiling off of the building, they then clear the remaining the buildings in a similar fashion to the first one.

Not Roleplay
ok so I'm falling asleep at my desk right now so ill do more tomorrow.

User avatar
Ella2 6
Level 6.2
Level 6.2
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm
NS Nation (Prefix): The Spring Kawaii of
Nexus Client: The Constellation of Richia
Client Tech Level: A3
Client Species: Ellian
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Ella2 6 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:01 am

Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
The Canteen, Floor -3


Lax took the folder and opened it up. Noise cancellation, bandwidth, modulation, these things meant very little to her. After skimming through the contents, she closed it again. "Um... I'm sure our technicians can better advise you on that," she replied, "But if I was to take a guess, you'd want to set it up on one of the mountains around the base within line of sight of base and orbit."

She glanced around quickly and... Come to think of it, the base did not have much of a chief engineer as everything was maintained by robots. "Uh... Gentle..." she continued uncertainly, looking around until she found him, "Are there any engineers with us?"

"Kiyo. Derek Melissa should be able to help you," he replied quickly, taking a seat and inviting Martinez to sit down as well, "Perhaps I exaggerated. But most of the time when we take breaks, we have to be prepared for it to be interrupted by an emergency." He figured that the Sinian probably understood what he meant so he left it at that and proceeded to answer her other questions.

"As for operation-wide communications, that'll have to depend on the situation. What I mean by that is that we do have channels for that, but because we're going to be underground most of the time, we might not be able to contact all the teams all the time. Sometimes we might even lose contact with Lax, but she'll be doing everything on her end to make sure that doesn't happen."

"As for getting equipment and replacements, that should be something your government discusses with ours, so if you need anything let your people know and they'll tell our people and then orders get passed down to us that way. It might take a few days for things to arrive at first, but they'll probably end up streamlining things over time."

Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
The Gunsmith, Floor -3


"If you would like to shorten your barrels, you can use a short rifle instead," Charles told her, leaning back to pluck a carbine from the racks along the wall, "We have an extended barrel attachment for the short rifle which should help you with long-range engagements." He took one out from under his table and screwed it onto the weapon. "This one makes maintenance a bit harder because you're going to have to take the extended barrel off to access the superconducting rails of the rifle, but you really have no business engaging targets at long-range on full-auto anyways, so that shouldn't be a problem." He looked her up and down for a second or two. "But after our conversation just then, I'm starting to have my doubts."

He listened closely to Adreka's rant about how her people did things back home and concluded that either she was spouting out nonsense at this point in time or that the entire Qorsikan infantry was cybernetically enhanced supersoldiers. He had some doubts about it being the latter. "I'm going to have to stop you right there," he said, unwilling to continue this discussion - which had by now devolved into rambling with hardly any intellectual value, "I'll take what you say about your people; your homeworlds conditions may be radically different to mine for all I know. But my people have been in the business of industrialised warfare for longer than your race has even existed and our methods have worked for the past two hundred centuries."

The Qorsikan looked like she was about to argue some more and he raised his hand to stop her. "I'll have to see this 'Heavy Weapons Platform' to tell you what I can do with it. If you can get it here right now, I'll head out to take a look for you."

Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
The Sports Centre, Floor -2


The swimming pool was slowly being refilled. Stuffy, Castle's extravehicular activity specialist and pilot of the Swordfish, had rallied together enough support to convince Colonel Joey Anne to restart water activities. The group of half a dozen odd swimmers were busy getting ready while they waited.

In the hall, however, an enthusiastic game of dodgeball had been playing out for the past half hour. A team of royal commandoes were going head to head with a section of the SEALs almost in an Army verses Starforce fashion. It was uncertain who authorised it, but both sides wore their powered exoskeletons and the contest was fierce.

Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
The Medical Bay, Floor -3


Jade Lucas, one of the two nurses in the medical bay regarded the Qorsikan with some surprise. "Oh, uh... I guess that's okay. Here, let me show you to our pharmacist. He'll be able to go through our medication stock with you in more detail." She led Jin to a small office that looked like most of the room had been relegated to storage instead of visitation.

The Pharmacist was a man with short, curly, slate blue hair and bright green eyes that held a spark of mischief - something that made a lot of patients quite wary of him at first, but his record showed that no one has died whilst under his care so far. Quite to the contrary, it was his sense of humour and joviality that helped his patients recover. His name was Johnathan Vanessa.

"U- Uhno. Mr Johnathan," Jade called timidly, "This... Qorsikan physician would like to check your stock for potentially toxic substances to her species."

"Well, of course," He agreed, "I'll take you through what we have."
The Fifth Quadrant,
a science fiction
group/setting/region
founded by yours truly.
All players are welcome!
The Crossroads Discord,
an OOC chat/chill channel
to facilitate communication
between NS role players.
All tech tiers are welcome!
A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

User avatar
Qora
Level 5.2
Level 5.2
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:23 pm
NS Nation (Prefix): Qora
Nexus Client: Qora
Client Tech Level: A2
Client Leader: Kleo Neferanzus Azu
Client Councillor: Kleo Neferanzus Azu
Client Species: Qorsikan
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Qora » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:50 am

Gleam, Asylum
Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
B3, Gunsmith
Adrekka huffs. "Well... we don't have many fully automatic weapons at our disposal anyway. But the short rifles will function perfectly." She inspects the weapon closer and quickly assesses the length of the weapon to the smaller variants of the Q1 and Q2 weapons the soldiers she is supporting uses. "Yes. These will do completely fine."

"As for the Heavy Weapons Platform." She coughs. "That'll be rather problematic. It is currently in orbit and wouldn't be here until after its first deployment. Save on fuel until we have secured everything planetside. What I can do is show you the schematics of it that I have on me."
Gleam, Asylum
Sierra Seven, The Diamond Mountains
B3, Medical Bay
Jin smiles at the nurses working and agrees to follow one to the pharmacist. Upon meeting the pharmacist she gives a friendly smile "Great to meet you, Johnathon. I'd love to see what kind of medications you have. Currently, my biggest worries are painkillers and antibiotics." She pauses for a moment to think of how to articulate her words. "For painkillers, my species has a very negative effect on anything that restricts neural connection to the brain. We've had a few cases where Xenos give us painkillers and we go comatose. As for Antibiotics our immune system just... disagrees with them in general."
Gleam, Asylum
Sierra Six, Cindering Peaks
Pausing for a few moments looking for movement, "I'm sure they're watching us. I can sense their presence." Taking cursory glances across the landscape and at the buildings she sees no movement. "Pict, cover those two buildings for us. T'cha and Ademlo assist. Everyone else frag and take down the lone designated structure ahead." The HWP turns and commits overwatch with two of the soldiers, both carrying standard Q2 rifles. The HWP and two of the infantrymen face the two structures they were designated to clear with the HWP having both its twin autocannons ready as well as its tail laser. The two infantry watching the port and starboard flanks respectively ready to assist the HWP.

The rest of the section lines up on the wall with one watching the rear, a second about to kick the door down and a final third ready to throw an flash/fragmentation grenade through the door. "Quickly and efficently. No wasted shots." The Captain stands first in the row ready to breach into the door as she quickly gestures "go." The door is kicked down with the grenade thrown inside. The infantryman who kicked down the door goes into cover before the sudden and loud explosion spreading fire and shrapnel around the inside of the structure. The squad instantly rushes into the structure shooting at anything that moves. Their Gauss Rifles tearing through their armoured flesh and shattering bone with each shot.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest