The Light After the Dusk

The designated place to discuss NRP (not-roleplay) items for the roleplay, and to sort out important RRP Meta stuff.

Moderator: Roleplay Master

Forum rules
NRP Forum: All posts in this forum should be non roleplay posts. You do not need to use NRP tags here.
Equalsun
Level 1.2
Level 1.2
NS Nation (Prefix): Can I change this later

The Light After Dusk Application

Post by Equalsun » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:09 am

A little bit of a WIP, but bear with me on this one.
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler
► Show Spoiler

Ella2 6
Level 5.2
Level 5.2
NS Nation (Prefix): The Winter Kawaii of
Nexus Client: The Constellation of Richia
Client Tech Level: A3
Client Species: Ellian

Re: The Light After the Dusk

Post by Ella2 6 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:33 am

A Quick Note on How to Write an RP Post

Just doing this quick announcement, because I've noticed some trends in the writing of some of the players here. Without embarrassing anyone by calling out their names Xah, let's get into it.

Writing for a role-playing game is fundamentally different from writing for a novel. RP posts are smaller, more compact and also has different requirements for their structure. I'll be focusing on the structure here.

Think about an RP post as a single piece of a jigsaw puzzle. A novel has to be a full, complete puzzle piece without any tabs (round bit poking out) or blanks (round bits indented in for tabs to fit into), unless you're anticipating a sequel and looking to end on a cliffhanger you sick bastard you.

The first post of a thread must always have either a tab (a hook to let players latch onto) or a blank (to let players fill in.) Without these tabs and blanks, there's no way for the next player to continue the RP!

The next player then has to write another post with two hooks, two tabs, or one of each to join their post with the previous one and for the next player to reply to.

It is the responsibility of every player to create new blanks or tabs for other players to use. In this analogy, a blank is an incomplete, open-ended part of the post, as with a question in a conversation. For example: "What should I do?" Post with blanks are not 'complete', per se and it's up to the other player to fill it in with their reply. The character in this example does not know what to do until the replier suggests something.

In contrast, a tab is a complete, close-ended post with a bit of 'extra' material. In a conservation example, the tab is like saying: "You should go to the mall to buy some new shoes." The player has given a suggestion and it's up to the replier to accept or decline the invitation.

Remember: Without these tabs and blanks, it's not possible for an RP to continue! This is one of the many ways an RP might die. We call these deadends, and an easy way to remember not to make these deadends to remember the phrase: "Don't let your post fall flat!"

If you are writing for more than one replier than leave multiple blanks and tabs!

A completed RP should be a completed jigsaw puzzle (unless a sequel is in the works and you have a good idea of what to expect. But also remember that blanks are incomplete and if you sequel doesn't deliver then there's only disappointment!)

The Fifth Quadrant,
a science fiction
group/setting/region
founded by yours truly.
All players are welcome!
The Crossroads Discord,
an OOC chat/chill channel
to facilitate communication
between NS role players.
All tech tiers are welcome!
A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.