Creating a ClientThe Nexus
Inhabitants of a universe that a Gate opens into are called ‘Clients’ and from the moment of first contact are allowed access to the surface of the Nexus up to 20 km in altitude. When a new Gate is opened, the first faction to whom first contact is made is the designated Client, so it could be any nation or group that exists within that world that controls the gate and access to the Nexus. Civilisations that are found by the Nexus can be at varying levels of technological development, from the earliest tools to the ability to manipulate the very fabric of space-time.
When you are creating your own Client to participate in the roleplay, choosing an appropriate technology level is paramount in creating a nation that fits the play style you would like to engage in. Take a look at the options below.
- Level P1: Stone Age. The most primitive of cultures, able to count and with simple oral traditions.
- Level P2: Bronze Age. Your culture has gained basic arithmetic and writing, though such knowledge could be concentrated in the wealthy.
- Level P3: Iron Age. Your culture has gained geometry and the use scrolls, expanding on the technologies above. They also have access to Iron, or equivalent.
- Level P4: Medieval. Not only do you have algebra and books, but you also have steel, swords, shields and castles. Or you know, the equivalent for your alien society.
- Level I1: Age of Sail. You are expanding across the shores! Gain calculus, movable types, and boats.
- Level I2: Industrial Revolution. The time of mechanical calculators, the telegraph system, and giant factories is here. This is a good turning point for steampunk idealised nations to form from.
- Level I3: Mechanised Age. Technology advances to give you electrical calculators, the telephone system, and radio broadcasts.
Band EOur most popular band!
- Level E1: Nuclear Age. Nuclear power is upon us, along with mainframe computers and television. At last, you can watch that favourite show of yours…
- Level E2: Digital Age. The Internet is here, and gives us personal computers and global networks. That favourite show of yours is now available on demand.
- Level E3: Global Age. Our modern day age, with the advent of autonomous robots taking over, and the ever increasing nature of high speed networks.
- Level E4: Genetic Age. Where gene modification has allowed for multiple advances in terraforming and food. Oh, and cloning. There is cloning.
- Level A1: Microtech Age. Artificial intelligence and real-time virtuality really brings the futurism into your nation.
- Level A2: Robotic Age. The future is truly here! Nanotechnology is in full bloom allowing for some magical and wondrous possibilities, including basic FTL.
- Level A3: Exotic Age. Your use of nanotechnology and genetic manipulation is beyond belief, allowing you to create all sorts of exotic materials, and reach distant stars with advanced FTL.
- Level A4: Star Age. You truly are gods now. Gain total manipulation of space-time to your technological prowess. (NB: This tech level is normally reserved for those running the RP).
The Nexus gates open up into a variety of different places across multiple universes, so there is a large possibility that the species the Nexus encounters is unique. While humanoid-like creatures are frequently found, other more exotic species are sometimes seen when a gate opens to a new world. Whatever you decide to base your civilisation on, know that there is nearly always one dominant species that will develop in a single area in the universe unless there is a symbiosis between that species and others of equal intelligence.
When picking your species, know that while we accept the majority of species types, the Council of Brilliance reserves the right to veto any species that it deems unrealistic or otherwise invalid to the lore of The Nexus, especially species that exhibit magical or godlike powers. Be prepared to justify your species.